Skip to main content

Personal Goals as an Artist for 2010

2010 in itself sounds almost science fictionish. LOL 2010 is going to be an exciting year. I am going back to teaching acrylics sometime in the next few weeks and to selling some of my paintings online. I havent had much of an opportunity to do anything in the past few years due to having children but it feels pretty good to be starting off on a note like this.
Things I want to work on this year.
1. Creative thinking- i have been finding a looseness is my paintings that I dont have to "think about" lately. I have not been worrying so much on the anatomy of a piece as much as working on brushstrokes values, and composition. "More play.. less brain".
2. Enter at least 1 Juried competition. EEEEKKKKK! The idea in itself terrifies me. It is different when you paint for enjoyment then to have someone sit down and go over your painting brushstroke by brushstroke. Being a self-taught artist there is nothing scarier then having someone that knows what they are talking about critiquing what I have done wrong. But if I am brave enough to sell my paintings and have myself exposed then I am brave enough to compete.
3. Paint Daily - even if it is a few strokes here and there. I hope to never become stagnent again.

Hope everyone had a safe and Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acrylic Landscape mini demo

A little something I started yesterday 16 * 20 acrylic on stretched canvas. So far so good but I am a little stuck, to much open space in the middle ground, may add a sheep or two or maybe make it into a golf course. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy Painting Tammy

UNDER PAINTING IN WATERCOLOR - Grisaille underpainting technique

I chose to use a grisaille technique for the painting of this old man in watercolor. Grisaille is an old technique oil painters used to develop a monochromatic value study, kinda like a road map for your painting. This later served as a base for the addition of  transparent layers of color. For this painting, I chose to use a limited palette of dioxazine purple, Naples yellow,  alizarin crimson for the face with a pop or 2 of transparent orange and green gold at the end. **This is not a palette I would choose again and here's why. Naples yellow doesn't pack any punch and is opaque. This is not a great mix when you need to cover or mute the purple. Diox purple is also strong stainer, making it difficult to remove pigment. Sometimes this is ok, but didn't really help on this piece. I started this gentleman with an ink sketch that can be found in my Strathmore watercolor 400 series journal. I love the quality of paper in this journal but I wish it wou...

Unisex Crocheted Hexagon Slippers

I  found this pattern for these hex slippers on ravlery last year and love the pattern so much I have now made 3 pairs. They are an extra warm cabin slipper.    These are not for beginners because of the adjustments you have to make when making and attaching the soles, but overall these slippers are fairly easy to stitch up and a great way to stash bust your yarn. http://priscillascrochet.net/free%20patterns/Wearables/Hexagon%20Boot%20Slippers.pdf This hexagon slipper has a double thick sole and is made up of 3 motifs per slipper but if you wanted to make them into slipper boots just add 2 more motifs at the top of each slipper attaching in the front and back V and sides.  I did take into consideration some of the other peoples reviews that have worked up these slippers and rounded off the toes on the last 2 rows by sc2tog at each end. Also the instructions were not that clear on the hook sizes for the different shoe sizes, I used a 5 for these pairs r...