Skip to main content

From my sketchbook - portraits

I swear I was born with a pencil in my hand, as my first love will always be drawing. Growing up I really never got much encouragement to pursue my passion for art so out of necessity to get rid of all of this creative energy it was for the most part me and my pencil. I have about 25 sketchbooks scattered around my house, stuck in my purse, hiding in my glove box.. lol, but they are available at any time for my amusement. So I thought I would share a few of my portrait practices while I get back to painting.
Hope you enjoy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acrylic Landscape mini demo

A little something I started yesterday 16 * 20 acrylic on stretched canvas. So far so good but I am a little stuck, to much open space in the middle ground, may add a sheep or two or maybe make it into a golf course. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy Painting Tammy

UNDER PAINTING IN WATERCOLOR - Grisaille underpainting technique

I chose to use a grisaille technique for the painting of this old man in watercolor. Grisaille is an old technique oil painters used to develop a monochromatic value study, kinda like a road map for your painting. This later served as a base for the addition of  transparent layers of color. For this painting, I chose to use a limited palette of dioxazine purple, Naples yellow,  alizarin crimson for the face with a pop or 2 of transparent orange and green gold at the end. **This is not a palette I would choose again and here's why. Naples yellow doesn't pack any punch and is opaque. This is not a great mix when you need to cover or mute the purple. Diox purple is also strong stainer, making it difficult to remove pigment. Sometimes this is ok, but didn't really help on this piece. I started this gentleman with an ink sketch that can be found in my Strathmore watercolor 400 series journal. I love the quality of paper in this journal but I wish it wou...

Unisex Crocheted Hexagon Slippers

I  found this pattern for these hex slippers on ravlery last year and love the pattern so much I have now made 3 pairs. They are an extra warm cabin slipper.    These are not for beginners because of the adjustments you have to make when making and attaching the soles, but overall these slippers are fairly easy to stitch up and a great way to stash bust your yarn. http://priscillascrochet.net/free%20patterns/Wearables/Hexagon%20Boot%20Slippers.pdf This hexagon slipper has a double thick sole and is made up of 3 motifs per slipper but if you wanted to make them into slipper boots just add 2 more motifs at the top of each slipper attaching in the front and back V and sides.  I did take into consideration some of the other peoples reviews that have worked up these slippers and rounded off the toes on the last 2 rows by sc2tog at each end. Also the instructions were not that clear on the hook sizes for the different shoe sizes, I used a 5 for these pairs r...