Skip to main content

Halloween Headstones DIY

It's that time of year again when we start our Halloween decorations and planning. This year we needed to add some new grave markers and this is what we came up with.

Supplies needed: *plaster of Paris
                            *water, bowl, and stir stick
                             *molds
                             *pink or blue polystyrene insulation sheets. I used 1 inch and 1/2 inch sheets
                             *Exacto knife, box cutter, solder gun
                             *black, white and brown exterior paint and paintbrush
                             *I used scrap lumber for my bases, as it adds a little more weight
                             *a creepy face changing pic from the buck store, Mine had a frame - I just cut the image out to fit into our design.
                             *liquid nails/ construction adhesive
First, we started by making some plaster casting embellishments. These were made from a dollar store doorknocker and ice cube trays. Just mix up your plaster to the consistency of a medium batter and pour into a mold that have been treated with a release agent. I used cooking spray. 
Now for the fun part .. deciding what our stones are going to say and look like. Carve them using whatever implement you prefer.  We used a solder gun - just make sure you carve using this outside or in a well ventilated area - it is Stinky!

We attached these to some 2 * 6 scrap wood using construction adhesive to weigh down the base. 
Then paint your stone in black. Wait for it to dry and add some white and beige dry brushing, to bring out the highlights.  

For the Myra Mains headstone, I used a face morphing plastic sign from the dollar store that I just cut to size and applied with contact adhesive. I added scraps of styrofoam scraps around the picture for dimensional accents.
For the "Not Funny Let Me Out" headstone,  the large skull in the center of this headstone was a cheap plastic door knocker that I dismantled glued on, I added plaster skulls and a separate plaque shaped piece then painted everything to make it all blend together.


\
These DIY headstones add interest to your yard by using different shapes and dimensions. 
Hope you enjoy this demo and it inspires you to try to make them. 

If you like this demo remember sharing is caring.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acrylic Landscape mini demo

A little something I started yesterday 16 * 20 acrylic on stretched canvas. So far so good but I am a little stuck, to much open space in the middle ground, may add a sheep or two or maybe make it into a golf course. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy Painting Tammy

UNDER PAINTING IN WATERCOLOR - Grisaille underpainting technique

I chose to use a grisaille technique for the painting of this old man in watercolor. Grisaille is an old technique oil painters used to develop a monochromatic value study, kinda like a road map for your painting. This later served as a base for the addition of  transparent layers of color. For this painting, I chose to use a limited palette of dioxazine purple, Naples yellow,  alizarin crimson for the face with a pop or 2 of transparent orange and green gold at the end. **This is not a palette I would choose again and here's why. Naples yellow doesn't pack any punch and is opaque. This is not a great mix when you need to cover or mute the purple. Diox purple is also strong stainer, making it difficult to remove pigment. Sometimes this is ok, but didn't really help on this piece. I started this gentleman with an ink sketch that can be found in my Strathmore watercolor 400 series journal. I love the quality of paper in this journal but I wish it wou...

Unisex Crocheted Hexagon Slippers

I  found this pattern for these hex slippers on ravlery last year and love the pattern so much I have now made 3 pairs. They are an extra warm cabin slipper.    These are not for beginners because of the adjustments you have to make when making and attaching the soles, but overall these slippers are fairly easy to stitch up and a great way to stash bust your yarn. http://priscillascrochet.net/free%20patterns/Wearables/Hexagon%20Boot%20Slippers.pdf This hexagon slipper has a double thick sole and is made up of 3 motifs per slipper but if you wanted to make them into slipper boots just add 2 more motifs at the top of each slipper attaching in the front and back V and sides.  I did take into consideration some of the other peoples reviews that have worked up these slippers and rounded off the toes on the last 2 rows by sc2tog at each end. Also the instructions were not that clear on the hook sizes for the different shoe sizes, I used a 5 for these pairs r...