Skip to main content

Life isn't always black and white, a Mixed Media Portrait

How quickly an idea can change. I have an art journal full of unused Gelli prints and some basic supplies that have been calling my name, so when I get 5 minutes to unwind I use what's in front of me to do something wild and crazy.

Today I grabbed some cheap chalk pastels and just started to play. As I get to the hair you will see that the pastels are a little weak in value and saturation so I sprayed with a fixative added some sewing tissue and paper to cover the red pastel and turned her hair green. I added some contrast in the background and pumped up the color with little touches of acrylic and oil pencil. Don't be afraid to layer and think outside the box. Use crazy colors, don't be a perfectionist, use items that are completely out of your comfort zone. Grow. This painting is one of those ideas that went off the rails and turned out pretty good. It has all the characteristics I personally look for in my art. Value, Composition, Contrast, and Interest. Hope this inspires you and remember sharing is caring.

 
Life Isn't Always Black and White
5 * 8 inch
Mixed Media on paper (acrylic, pastel, ink, oil pastel, oil pencil)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acrylic Landscape mini demo

A little something I started yesterday 16 * 20 acrylic on stretched canvas. So far so good but I am a little stuck, to much open space in the middle ground, may add a sheep or two or maybe make it into a golf course. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy Painting Tammy

UNDER PAINTING IN WATERCOLOR - Grisaille underpainting technique

I chose to use a grisaille technique for the painting of this old man in watercolor. Grisaille is an old technique oil painters used to develop a monochromatic value study, kinda like a road map for your painting. This later served as a base for the addition of  transparent layers of color. For this painting, I chose to use a limited palette of dioxazine purple, Naples yellow,  alizarin crimson for the face with a pop or 2 of transparent orange and green gold at the end. **This is not a palette I would choose again and here's why. Naples yellow doesn't pack any punch and is opaque. This is not a great mix when you need to cover or mute the purple. Diox purple is also strong stainer, making it difficult to remove pigment. Sometimes this is ok, but didn't really help on this piece. I started this gentleman with an ink sketch that can be found in my Strathmore watercolor 400 series journal. I love the quality of paper in this journal but I wish it wou...

Unisex Crocheted Hexagon Slippers

I  found this pattern for these hex slippers on ravlery last year and love the pattern so much I have now made 3 pairs. They are an extra warm cabin slipper.    These are not for beginners because of the adjustments you have to make when making and attaching the soles, but overall these slippers are fairly easy to stitch up and a great way to stash bust your yarn. http://priscillascrochet.net/free%20patterns/Wearables/Hexagon%20Boot%20Slippers.pdf This hexagon slipper has a double thick sole and is made up of 3 motifs per slipper but if you wanted to make them into slipper boots just add 2 more motifs at the top of each slipper attaching in the front and back V and sides.  I did take into consideration some of the other peoples reviews that have worked up these slippers and rounded off the toes on the last 2 rows by sc2tog at each end. Also the instructions were not that clear on the hook sizes for the different shoe sizes, I used a 5 for these pairs r...